Premier was founded by Albert Della Porta and George Smith. Albert was a young professional drummer in London, and in 1922 he took a temporary job because finding drumming work was rare.
Albert started work at Boyle Drum Company. Albert made suggestions to improve Boyle’s drums, but Boyle did not pick up on his suggestions. However, one man, George Smith who was Boyle’s production manager, was impressed with Albers suggestions and together they started manufacturing drums independently of Boyle.
Albert and George rented space in Berwick Street in London. During the day Alberts would work on the drums. After work at the Boyle Drum Company George would help.
Initially George and Albert sold unbranded drums to companies wishing to attach their own logo on to them. After a few years the first drums marked with the ‘Premier Drums’ insignia appeared.
During World War II, premier stopped making drums and joined the war effort by producing sights and guns.
In 1984 the name ‘Premier Drum Company’ was changed to ‘Premier Percussion’.