In 1910, the drum company initially known as ‘Ludwig and Ludwig’ was formed by two brothers, William F. and Theo Ludwig.
The first product they manufacturerd was a bass drum pedal. Soon afterwards they created their first timpani.
Soon ‘Ludwig and Ludwig’ expanded their production into other areas of drumming.
The Great Depression that started in 1929 caused the company to merge with another company, called C.G. Conn. The merge took place during the 1930’s. William left the company in 1936 because he was unsatisfied with his involvement in the company, and created his own company named ‘W.F.L. Drum Company’. The company was established in 1937.
In 1955 the Ludwig name was bought off C.G. Conn. The company was then renamed ‘Ludwig Drum Company’.
Expansion continued in 1966, with the purchase of the Musser Marimba Company that produced mallet percussion related products, and helped diversify Ludwig’s product range.